St Nicholas’ Church, Child Okeford
St Nicholas’ Church, along with the War Memorial stands in a traditional position at the centre of Child Okeford. It spans the centuries with a tower dating back to the late fifteenth century whilst much of the rest of the church was rebuilt in 1878/79. Much the oldest item however, is the Font, now in the south west corner. This dates from the thirteenth century.
The Sanctuary (choir area) and the Pulpit show magnificent craftsmanship in a ‘higher church’ style. Its fine organ was installed with close supervision by Sir Arthur Sullivan (of Gilbert and Sullivan fame). The choir at the time was the first in any church to be a member of the School of English Church Music and the College medallions are worn to this day.
Today, the Church continues to play a central role in the local community, and people from all spiritual backgrounds are welcome to attend services and events in the Church. Our Ministry Team is led by Rev. Lydia Cook, and Lay Minister Mrs Sue Le Riche.
The Church is available to hire for events – please contact the PCC Correspondence Secretary, Ruth Allen: 01258 860068 or the PCC secretary Merlin Lewis: 01258 863800.
Details of service dates and times, along with benefice news can be found on the Okeford Benefice website, The Hill and the Church notice board.