In the late 16th century a group of Bishops under the authority of the Archbishop of Canterbury revised the Great Bible of 1839. In 1568 they published a version of the bible that became known as the Bishops Bible. In 1891 a first edition was bought by one John Batten and was presumably presented to the church where it resided until its theft in 2009.
Among the papers and files of the late Chris Giles, author of the original series of booklets which included this one, were 12 photographs of pages from the bible. These are reproduced below together with an updated and amended version of Chris’s original booklet.
In the hope of providing a full account of the theft of the bible in 2009, further research was undertaken and a request placed in the parish magazine, “The Hill”, but without any success. Surprisingly no files could be found in the church records nor the archives held at Dorset History Centre .
However, the original page from the 1891 catalogue detailing the sale of the bible and the note from the purchaser, John Batten, were found and are copied here courtesy of Dorset History Centre.
David Pope, Child Okeford Archives, June 2019
|Note made by John Batten after he purchased the Bible|
|The description of the bible as advertised by the auctioneers.|